Homeowners Insurance in Charlotte & Fort Mill

Homeowners Insurance

CoSaint is a family-owned, independent insurance agency with over 30 years of experience serving the residents of Charlotte, North Carolina and Fort Mill, South Carolina.  We are a proven industry leader in providing Personal, Business, and Life Insurance products to our customers.  We recognize that price shopping and comparing rates can be a difficult and confusing task for individuals.  That’s why we work with over 20 leading insurance companies and do the shopping for you.  At CoSaint, we pride ourselves on finding the most competitive rates for your policy, and we’ll continue to do so through the length of your policy term.

Request Homeowners Insurance Quotes Now!

Homeowners Insurance

Your home is your biggest investment.  For this reason, it’s essential to protect your home—and the property inside it—by being properly insured.  Homeowners insurance is there to protect you when the unforeseen happens.  The appropriate coverage will help alleviate the risk by covering the replacement cost of your home, the contents inside, and the potential liability to others while on your property.

Not only do you need property insurance to protect your Charlotte or Fort Mill home if it is damaged, but also if it is robbed or vandalized. Keep in mind, property insurance also covers:

  • Injury to household members (and others while they are on your property)
  • Accidents on your property
  • Identity theft
  • Dog bites
  • Backup of sewers, drains and sump pumps
  • And more!

Renters Insurance

Many renters assume that they need no coverage for their residence because they don’t own the property.  Loss or damage of personal property, however, could be catastrophic if not properly insured.  Because of this, landlords often require renters to hold a renters insurance policy that protects the renter’s property. Some policies also cover property damage or injury to others while at the rental property.

Whether you rent, own your home or are a landlord in the Charlotte or Fort Mill area, property insurance can help protect you if you suffer a loss.

Get Started With Homeowners Insurance Today!

Types of Property Insurance & Coverage Options

Homeowner’s insurance policies differ by which losses are covered, which coverages you choose, and what type of residence you own. Your CoSaint agent will help determine which policy form best meets your needs.

There are several different policy forms associated with Property Insurance. Each form is intended to cover different types of dwellings. Let’s take a closer look at a few of the more common policy forms.

Typically, your condo association buys insurance to cover the building and common areas. However, if you own a condominium, you should also consider condo property insurance (HO-6) to cover your dwelling (i.e. “studs in”, fixtures, etc), your personal property, and potential liability exposures. Condo owners need to consider property insurance to cover fixtures within the condo, countertops, cabinets, additions, alterations and any safety systems in place. Condo insurance also can provide liability coverage for damage to property of others or injury caused to someone by you or a family member.

Renters insurance covers your personal belongings and contents (i.e. clothes, jewelry, furniture, etc) if they are lost or damaged. Renters insurance can also provide liability coverage for damage to the property of others or injury caused to someone by you or a family member while in your apartment or other rental dwelling. There are many additional coverage options that can be added to the basic HO-4 depending on your specific needs. Many rentals will require their tenants to carry Renters insurance, so be sure to check with your landlord to see if this is a requirement for you.

The HO-3 and other homeowner policy forms provide coverage for your dwelling, your personal property, and potential liability exposures. There are several policy forms to cover your home and each offer varying levels of coverage and also protect against various perils (i.e. named perils, open perils, etc…). The most common policy form is the HO-3. However, the HO-5 and HE-7 are available in certain states as alternatives that can offer additional coverages built in to the policy form. Your CoSaint agent can help you determine which policy form is best for your situation.

The premium for a home policy is determine by many factors including the replacement value of your dwelling, the amount of liability coverage you select, your personal belongs, your chosen deductible and other special coverages. Let’s take a look at some of these coverages.

Property or Dwelling Coverage typically pays to repair or rebuild your home if it is damaged or destroyed. The actual Dwelling Coverage is determined by the replacement value of your dwelling. The replacement cost of your dwelling is determined by a number of factors (age of the dwelling, construction type, features, square footage, etc…). Your CoSaint agent will help you determine the appropriate replacement value of your dwelling.

Liability Coverage applies if someone is injured or their property is damaged and you are responsible. When choosing your liability coverage limits, consider things like the assets you own, your net worth and potential future income. Your personal liability coverage should be high enough to protect your assets in the unfortunate situation in which you are responsible for a severe claim. Your CoSaint agent can help determine the appropriate liability coverage for your situation.

Medical Payments coverage covers medical expenses for guests if they are injured on your property, and in certain cases, covers people who are injured off of your property. It does not, however, cover health care costs for you or other members of your household.

If you can’t live in your home because of a covered loss, your home insurance policy will pay additional living expenses (commonly for up to 24 months) while damage is assessed and your home is repaired or rebuilt. This coverage helps compensate you if you are unexpectedly forced out of your home due to a covered loss.

Your home is filled with furniture, clothes, electronics and other items that mean a lot to you. Personal Property insurance coverage helps replace these items if they are lost, stolen or destroyed as a result of a covered loss. If you picked up your home, turned it upside down and shook, anything that falls out would generally be considered your contents.

Make an inventory of your home and personal belongings. If possible, make a list as well as take photos or video to help expedite the claim resolution process. Keep this list someplace safe (ideally somewhere other than your home).  Please remember that your policy does not cover damages caused by poor or deferred maintenance on your part.

If you have special possessions such as jewelry, art, guns, antiques and/or other collectibles, you may want to talk to your agent about “scheduling” these items. Many people do not realize that there are some coverage limits for certain types of personal belongings, so it definitely makes sense to schedule these items on the policy to assure they are insured to value. Scheduling personal property provides broader coverage for specific items (that have coverage limits on the basic homeowner policy). Talk to your CoSaint agent today and they will help you determine whether this is a necessary step for you.

Landlords can be provided coverage for their investment property as well. Dwelling Fire policies cover the rental dwelling and core fixtures in the dwelling. Landlords also have the option to buy liability coverage for the risks posed by tenant-occupied dwellings, contents coverage for personal belongings they have at the dwelling, and other special coverages. Your CoSaint agent can help you determine the appropriate coverages for your situation.

Protect Your Property Today

CoSaint Insurance understands that each customer has unique insurance needs, so we aren’t a one-size-fits-all agency.  Consider us your personal “insurance liaison,” always working to find the right policy for the best price.  It’s that attention to the customer’s needs that has made CoSaint Insurance a leading agency in the Charlotte and Fort Mill areas.

When it comes to protecting your property, CoSaint will:

  • Work with you to assure you have the right coverage at the right price
  • Get quotes from leading insurance companies to help you select the most effective and affordable coverage possible
  • Will walk you through your options and help you identify additional saving
  • Help you protect your valuable property investments so you can sleep a little easier at night

Our agents are licensed in North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio, and Kentucky. See our customer care difference by completing our quote form or calling to speak with one of our experienced agents. We’ll be sure to find that coverage for the best rate in the area.